The starting line was absolutely crammed, they definitely need some better corralling. The gun went off and I began the first mile of bobbing and weaving. I absolutely appreciated the crowding (in hindsight) as it helped my keep my pace under control. Having 600 10ker's along for the ride was frustrating (especially the walkers [I don't understand paying $50 to walk a 10k. I just don't]) but around mile 2.5, everyone was strung out enough that I was able to settle in and find my pace. I wanted to keep my pace down and not push it too hard; I tried to keep my pace between 8:50/9 min mile splits. I ate a piece of shot blox at miles 2, 4, 6, and 9. I drank at miles 4, 6, 8 and started to feel really full, so I backed off.
The Omaha course hits the hills right at the 10k mark and that's where I turned it on. I knew the course was hilly, this town is hilly, my neighborhood is hilly. I trained on hills all summer and every grade felt pretty easy. Even the big hill on 6th street seemed short and easy compared to my monster hill on my home course. At mile 7, I really couldn't believe how great I felt. I was really within myself, just focused on moving forward and meeting my splits. I saw my parents a few times throughout the course and that brightened my day. Having their support at such an early hour is so moving.
Looking back, I really can't believe how relaxed I felt and how much fun I had. I'm truly proud of this performance today. I finished feeling strong and happy. My official time was 1:55:08. A vast improvement over my time of 2:11:28 at the Lincoln Half way back in May. Seriously, a 16 minute improvement in 4.5 months. UNREAL.
Splits:
Mile 1: 9:15
Mile 2: 8:57
Mile 3: 8:49
Mile 4: 9:01
Mile 5: 8:43
Mile 6: 8:40
Mile 7: 8:43
Mile 8: 9:03
Mile 9: 8:04
Mile 10: 8:28
Mile 11: 8:29
Mile 12: 8:21
Mile 13: 8:23
As an adult, I've struggled to find purpose. I accepted the fact that I would not be defined by any job I would have, that higher education was not for me, that God was not for me. I love my husband more and more every day, but that does not define or drive me. Running has shaken my spirit in ways I cannot explain. I am so lucky to have found such a purpose and retreat for myself while I am still young. I will always have my running. There will always been another race to anticipate and train for. I am so lucky.
Looking forward to the Kansas City Half Marathon on October 16th. I am hoping to hit 1:50!
No comments:
Post a Comment