Monday, October 25, 2010

Winding down...

My racing season is winding down. It was an unreal summer/fall; I really cannot believe how much I improved and that I did it all injury free. Let's recap, shall we?

May 2: Lincoln Half Marathon. 2:11:28. My first half marathon. I was nervous/excited/a total wreck. I just wanted to finish strong. I definitely did. I went into this race under-trained. My longest run in the 3 months prior was no longer than 7 miles. About mile 10.5, my brain started to toy with me and forced me to walk. I didn't need to and shouldn't have. Hearing Lady Gaga blasting as I turned into Memorial Stadium will always be one of my favorite running memories ever. Such a great way to begin my long-distance running "career".

May 31: Boystown 5 Miles. 45:00. Ran this on the first day of my lady time with horrible cramps. It was hilly and I was hurting. But I got it done. And then I took some midol and a nap. Not sure that I'll run this one again unless my momma wants to do it or something.

June 5: Bellevue Barnburner 10k. 59:58. This course was hilly as eff. And one particular downhill honest to god scared me to the point where I couldn't breathe. It's a fun course and small race and I will definitely do it again next year!

June 12. Nebraska 5 - 5 miles. 43:38. A fairly flat 5 mile race out at NP Dodge Park. My poppa came out and cheered me on and made me feel like a super hero. I'm looking forward to this one next year and hoping to smash this time outta the water.

June 27. Siena Francis 10k. 53:59. My first run at Zorinsky. Hiller than I anticipated and I labored on the entire course. Beardy guy who was behind me the entire time surged during the last .2 miles and beat me. I'm still annoyed at him for that. Screw you beardy guy!

Took the month of July off from racing. Began to focus on Corporate Cup/Omaha Half Marathon training. Signed up for the KC Half on a whim (which was 3 weeks after the Omaha Half).

August 28: Ted E. Bear Hollow 10k. 51:48. Pretty a-ok improvement over the Siena Francis time. Placed 3rd in my age group. Course is pretty meh, just an out-and-back on the Keystone. But its a great cause and Outback supplies lots of tasty snacks! I'll probably do this one again next year.

September 6: Go Girl Run 5k. 24:11. Just wanted to go all out. And I did. I had a ton of sinus pressure that day and I remember feeling it with each step. Placed 2nd in my age group, 12th overall. Very proud of this performance. Its a very inspirational race to run with so many first timers! I want to do this one again next year with my momma and sister!

September 11: Peak to Peak 10 miler. 1:29:08. Used this as long tempo run for the Omaha Half. I nailed the tempo and felt great afterwards. Got really really hungry around mile 9 (I didn't bring any food on the run) but finished strong. It's a fun race, well organized and supported, definitely going to run it again next year.

September 19: Omaha Corporate Cup 10k. 49:32. I wanted to kill it on this race. This was my first race ever and I smoked last years time of 1:04. I felt so amazing the entire time. I took the first half easy, dodged the crowds and just eased into the pace. After the turnaround, I just went for it. The weather was perfect and this race is probably my favorite race in the Omaha area.

September 26: Omaha Half Marathon. 1:55:08. I wanted under 2 hours for this race. I visualized this race all summer. I knew every hill and I knew I wanted to smash them. I did. I felt great. I felt too great and I probably could have run at least 3 minutes faster. I will run this race every year as I want to support my home town!

October 16: Kansas City Half Marathon. 1:57:02. Something happened after the Omaha Half; I got really really bummed out. Maybe because I was so pleased with my performance or maybe it was just because it was actually over? I don't know, but I was genuinely bummed out. I took a full week of rest after the Omaha half (no activity other than walks with the dog), we went camping, did housework, etc. I gave myself one full week of running (for a total of 30 miles) and then a taper week. Every run on my taper week went terribly. I felt like poo and I could not get my head into it. My self image was all distorted, I felt slow and blah. Driving to KC, I could just feel it, something just wasn't right. When I lined up that morning, I just wasn't excited. I just wanted to get it over with. Mile after mile the course went on and on. It felt like hill after hill and I just grew more and more resentful. Going in, I wanted sub 1:50. As soon as I finished mile 3 (up a giant hill) I knew it there was no way. My plan B became sub 2:00. I trudged along, walked through all the water stops, and just felt unbelievably defeated. I finshed, I found the hubby, I wanted to cry. That course just really really got to me. That said, I'm glad I did it. It is a beautiful course (even though it is unbelievably hilly) and if I run it again, I'll know what I'm in for!

October 17. Zoo Run: 1 Mile: 10:00. Orginially I was going to do the 5 mile course but I felt beat up after the KC Half. So I paced my momma for the one mile run. She did awesome and I didn't even miss doing the 5 mile course because I was so proud of her! I will do this race every year I live in Omaha! Love Love Love it!

October 23. Swamp Stomp 8k: 42:57. I had a weird week of running prior to this. I was recovering from KC and only ran 1 easy easy 4 miler prior. Lining up that morning I told myself just to go all out, full effort. I'm not training and if I puke, I puke. The course is similar to the cross country course I ran in high school out there (just longer) and it is tough. It is hilly throughout with one really really great long down hill (which we lapped over twice). My body felt off but my head was better. This was a fun race and it was great to run on a trail vs. cement.

I have 2 races left this year: a 15k and a 3.5 mile beer and bagel run. I'll race the 15k, but the 3.5 miler is a pure joy race. I am looking forward to resting and relaxing all winter. Maybe lifting some weights and overall toning. I am banning myself from training for anything until January 8 2011. One thing I learned with my Omaha Half training schedule is that I need to re-evaluate how I approach my schedules. I need to look at rest weeks as rest and not as an additional week of work. Here's to snow and cold and restoration!

Looking forward to all 2011 has to bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment