Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Week of 17 October 2011

Monday
Tone Zone/ 1:00 hr.
I challenged myself and added more weights this week. It definitely killed during arms and I couldn’t complete some of the sets or I alternated arms. But I’m glad that I increased weights for squats/lunges/etc. I think I can easily go to 12 lbs for the leg sets. For certain arm ones 5 lb or 8lbs will do just fine. I had a lot of difficulty with the lunges. I’m not sure if this was residual muscle fatigue from the Zoo Run or just because doing lunges for 5 minutes straight per leg is painful.

Tuesday
5.55 miles/50 min.
Ran around work. Wanted to nail 6 miles but started to feel very tired and just over it by mile 2. I keep encountering a strong feeling of wanting to just give up at mile 1, every run lately. I’m not sure what is causing it, but I’ve managed to get over it every time. But it is damn annoying. I did nail the big hill on Burke Street on the way back and felt decently strong. I need to work on keeping my heartrate from spiking on hills.

Wednesday
Spin Class/ 45 min.
3.41 miles/ 31 min.
My sister convinced me to get my ass out of bed and get to a 5:45 am spin class. I was running late and missed about half of the warm up. Being on a bike that early was a surreal feeling. The room was dim and the instructor picked ridiculously chill music (spinning to John Mayer?!). There was a strong disconnect between my mind and my body and I didn’t feel like I truly woke up that day until about 10am. But I felt great all day. When I got home, Pat wanted to go for a run so I laced up and chased him around the neighborhood and then broke off from him when I couldn’t match his crazy 2-mile pace.

Thursday
Off day. It was my grandma’s bday and we had cake.

Friday
Off day again. Friend’s wedding reception thing.

Saturday
Swamp Stomp 8k. 41:06
Last year this race chewed me up and spit me out and this year was no different. The course is cross country style at Chalco and offers very little reprieve from the hills. I made the mistake of lining up in front and going out crazy fast. When my watch beeped and showed me 7:40 for the first mile, I cursed aloud (this is becoming way too routine). The second mile nearly killed me and I got passed left and right, which sucked a lot. I was dying just before the second mile mark and decided to fuck it and walked for a few seconds. The break helped a lot and I felt a lot stronger after that point. Just before mile 3 the lead male (who is a professional rabbit and runner for Saucony) passed me. I set my sights on the lady about 15 seconds in front of me and just tried to not lose her. On the last lap around the course, I looked behind me which must have lit a fire in the girl behind me because she ran me down. The last section of the course has this awful uphill which hurt by is thankfully followed by a kickass descent. I straightened myself up and kicked it into high gear. I finished strong but I wish I would have been able to run the entire race feeling that strong. I finished behind plenty of people I know that I am faster than and have beat before. I still had fun and I’m glad I ran. I just have to remember that killing it in every race is not a sustainable way to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment