Monday
I lifted and ran 5 miles on the ‘mill. Wasn’t bad but I knew I was pushing myself harder than I needed to or should have.
Tuesday
I went to a body sculpting class at Kosama with a coworker. It was plyometrics day (I just looked up what plyometrics actually means “a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports”). I went in knowing I typically loathe plyometric exercise but I actually performed a lot better than I anticipated I would. I even managed to squeak out a solid few burpees.
Wednesday
Upper body weights, core, and spin. I hadn’t done spin in a while and it wuz super hard. The yoga instructor I adore was subbing for the class and I know I was pushing extra hard because she was there. I was painfully sore from plyometrics. Every time I had to stand up on the bike, I let out a little squeak of pain. But my legs definitely felt better after the class.
Thursday
Rest! I planned on going to yoga but I got home and just felt zapped and really, really sore. The yoga class on Thursday nights really kicks my butt and I usually have soreness through to Saturday. Catching up with my TV shows was just what I needed.
Friday
More rest! We met up with friends for dinner and had a bonfire at our house.
Saturday
Spin in the AM! I love the Saturday instructor to bits and it was her birthday. She was in an awesome mood and had the class singing and dancing on our bikes!
Sunday
Zoo Run! I have run this race every year for the last 3 years. The first year it was my 3rd race ever and last year I just did the 1-mile with my mom because I was sore from running the Kansas City Half Marathon the day before.
I was looking forward having fun and powering up the ridiculous hills this year, especially since one of them was also a part of the Omaha Half Marathon course. The morning started a bit rough when I conked my head going down to the basement. I saw plenty of stars, cried, and dry heaved. It threw me for a loop for about 20 minutes, but I recovered. I wore a ridiculously matchy purple/pink outfit and I raced in my compression socks for the first. I felt fast! I intentionally lined up in the front to avoid the misplaced walkers and went out strong. Less than a quarter mile in, I recognized one of the fastest (if not the fastest) master’s runners just in front of me and thought “Woooahh, reign in it Cherko”. Powering up the first big hill of the course (in the zoo, from the giraffes until about the Desert Dome) I could feel the little bit of water I’d had that morning start to slosh around. I did my best to push it out of mind and just focus on powering forward. Saw my adorable parents right at mile 1, cheering and taking pictures.
The work on this course begins right around mile 1.25 and it’s straight up hill. Luckily it didn’t seem as steep as I remembered but I started to lose a lot of steam. Just before mile 2, I reminded myself to knock it off and that I was fine. It was just a hill. I powered through the rest of the course and shut my mind off for a while. I was starting to hurt at I approached the turnaround but I reminded myself I would see my family and friends all along the way back. As I motored up 6th Street, I saw my handsome husband and his beautiful smile. He looked happy and relaxed, which was relief to me. I tend to drag him into these races and he never seems to have that much fun. To see such a genuine smile gave me power. I kept powering up 6th street, seeing my friends Eric and Emily, a grade school classmate, a few coworkers, my sweet little sister, and then her friend. It made that painful mile just sail by.
By the time I saw my sister’s friend, I was nearing the top of the last hill. “Up and over,” I thought to myself. It was then time to coast and chick a few dudes. I had to remind myself to slow down a bit so I didn’t give myself a side stitch but I powered on and pushed as hard as I could through the last straightaway into the chute. Secretly I had hoped for sub-40. I knew my body could handle it, as I approached the chute, it became a reality! 39:57.
There were a few times where I thought to myself “Man, if I was in the shape I was last month, I could kill this.” It was a good reminder to myself to not completely drop my mileage or hill work once the bulk of my late summer/fall races are over. I’m looking forward to killing it next year. Hopefully I can win myself a zoo pass!.
No comments:
Post a Comment