Thursday, March 24, 2011

NYC

Completely exhausted me. I was soo amped to get there and then once I was there, I just wanted to sleep. The race was by far the highlight of the trip for me. I wish I could relive that morning over and over.

I woke up around 5am, fairly easily and quickly. I was worried that we had walked too much the day before and I had burned out my legs. They were heavy after walking from 830am until about 900pm. I ate my banana and the top of my muffin. Drank a giant bottle of water and went to the bathroom about a dozen times. At 6am, I wandered down to the lobby and got a cab fairly easily. He was a great driver, took me down Madison Ave to avoid the traffic closer to 5th Ave and got me to the Park around 615am. About 25 min sooner than I really wanted to be there, but oh well. I made the decision to wear my purple coat and not check it, so I checked the one other item I had (a scarf), and walked into the park.

I found my corral. It was empty. There was hardly anyone at the park yet and a million empty port-a-potties (heaven!!). I walked the dirt path back and forth, watching that gorgeous moon-set and the sun rise. I kept thinking about how incredible it was that I was there, in that moment. Little me, in Central Park, NYC, about to run a half marathon than numerous of my favorite elites would be as well. I got a bit overwhelmed and let myself cry. I was (and still am) so proud of myself.

I wandered about some more (with my gym sock mittens since I forgot to pack gloves) and finally stood in the corral around 640am. Everyone starts chatting and the nervous energy grows. I am frozen through by this point. Talked to a super fast dude (wanted to run it in 1:30) and a slower dude (wanted a 2:15). Around 7:00, Anthony Edwards, The Guy from Ed, and Hugh Jackman climb into our corral. Everyone gets super excited and takes a million pictures. Ladies start sighing. It was awesome.

The prez of the NYRR introduces all the elite runners. I am dying because I cannot see them from my corral. I see Hugh Jackman but not Kara Goucher?! Bummer. The National Anthem is sung, the helicopter is flying overhead. I'm dying to know if my dad can see me on the computer? Running, why aren't we running yet?! I am so cold! Finally, the gun. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to the start. And it is CROWDED!

I spend the first 2 miles dodging people and trying to get to my pace without zig zagging too much. My first 2 miles are slow. At the time, I didn't care. This is something I care about in retrospect. I was so happy to be running through Central Park, behind Kara Goucher and Meb Keflezighi, behind Edna Kiplagat and Galen Rupp. I'm in New York. I am running through New York. Why won't people move faster!!

The terrain of Central Park was by far hillier than I realized, but no hill fazed me. Someone said one of them was called Suicide Hill?? Seriously?! You people did not see what I ran up in Kansas City. That was Murder and Death Hill. By Mile 6, I was ready to be out of the park. I wanted to see Times Square. Mile 8 we take a left out of the park and poof there it is. Times Square laid out in front of me. The lights, the noise, and no cars. The karoake people were singing YMCA, I had to dance. I could not stop smiling. And then my husband screams my name and I had to run faster as to not start crying. Downhill!! WEE!! Turn to 42nd Street and THE WIND!! Eat a gel run run run. Turn down onto the West Side Highway, and I turn on the gas. I feel like I am flying now. I start zeroing in on people and picking them off boom boom boom. And the signs appear! 800m to the finish, 400m to the finish. Muscley dude in the vibrams?! I smoked him. Finish line! The announcer says my name! I scream "THAT'S ME!!" Tears again. I hope Pat heard that! Finish line mania: medal, space blanket, water. SOO COLLD.

I find the pre-designated Meet Up with The Husband Corner. There he is. Missed my finish, but no worries. That memory is all mine.

1:55:20

5k: 28:54
10k: 56:38
15k: 1:23:47
20k: 1:49:46

That 1:45 is definitely within reach. I felt unbelievably strong and the last 3 miles were 8:14, 8:23, 8:14.

Also, I beat Wolverine.

No comments:

Post a Comment