Thursday, August 12, 2010

RUNNING

It has now been approximately one year since I decided to start running, and I cannot believe how much running has completely changed my life and being. I remember standing on the treadmill, seriously intimidated, but encouraged by the sight of the variety of people who were jogging along. I started out at 5.0 mph and decided to run/jog as long as I could at that pace. I etched it up from there and started to build my confidence and my lung capacity. I ran one season of cross-country in high school but never really seemed to get it. But this time around, I began to really enjoy running, making it my regular lunch break activity.

I registered for the Corporate Cup (a local 10k) which holds a special place in my heart. My dad ran it every year when I was little, and I remember standing along the road, cheering him on, and watching the hoardes of runners zoom by (at least 10,000 people run the Corporate Cup annually). Since my dad had his hip replaced a few years back, he’s been unable to run, so this race became even more important and symbolic. I felt like I was continuing the tradition and carrying the torch. So I ran it. And I loved every single second. I struggled at the turnaround, but I finished and faster than I had anticipated (1:04! I was so proud! Especially since I hadn’t run in over 2 weeks prior to the race). My momma and poppa came and took pictures and cheered and for time first time in a really long time, I truly felt I had accomplished something.

Running has brought me more satisfaction in my daily life than I have felt since I finished college. As an adult, finding satisfaction and accomplishment in daily life can seem impossible. My job is just a place where I spend 40 hours a week, I enjoy it and I do well, but it doesn’t bring me much in the realm of accomplishment. I enjoy having a house and all the little tasks that are associated with housework, but it doesn’t equate to feeling accomplished or whole. I struggled with feeling complete for several years during and post-college. I felt completely directionless and did not know what I wanted out of my daily life. I had (and still have) long-term life goals, but achieving those goals was beginning to seem impossible. I just felt lost.

Running on the other hand, rewards me, day in and day out. I have something I have to do everyday, I have races I am training for, and goals to make and meet (every day, every week, every race). I have a purpose and a plan. I have energy and drive. There are days where it is definitely a chore, or I have a terrible run and just can’t push, or days where it just plain hurts to run. But even on the off days, I learn something about myself, my body, my running.

Runners are a unique breed; creatures of routine, self-punishment, and intense self-discipline. I am so proud to have truly become one of these crazy people.




Me struggling at the finish line of my first race of Summer 2010. I am happy to report it has gotten a lot easier since this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment