Friday, October 16, 2009

house full of boys

we (pat and i) own our house (well, technincally, the bank owns it) but we rent out 2 rooms to 2 of our dear friends, who happen to be male. this issue was quite a point of contention last year around this time. I only wanted one (or none) roomies and Pat wanted 2. My momma found out and was furious, convinced it would put a horrible strain on our marriage to have all of these other people around. My inlaws were fairly mum on the topic, and my dad just wanted to stay out of it.

Fast forward 10 months (the first roomie moved in in January and the second a few weeks later) and things are great. I love having them around, they make me laugh, let me feed them, and we watch TV together. One of them is dating one of my nearest dearest friends and the others girlfriend has become one of my nearest dearest friends.

Having three boys (and a puppy) around to play mama bird to has helped to quell my unbelievably strong urge to have a baby. i get to cook, clean, tell the boys what to do, patch jeans, etc. They've also helped to level out my occassional feminine unreasonable-ness For example, I got back from 4 days of working out of town last nihgt. Pat was sick and I was sore from the job. He made dinner and I really wanted some pie for dessert, so I asked him several times to get me a piece of pie and could feel my blood pressure start to rise when he said he just wanted to rest and couldn't I just go get it myself? The kitchen is a whopping 15 feet away. Luckily one of the roommates was walking around the house and thus prevented me from screaming at Pat to fetch me some pie.

All in all, I highly recommend having 2 male roommates. Or at least, my two male roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment