Thursday, February 26, 2009

ode to home

if there is one word to describe my habits (other than wine-o, foodie, or nerd) it would be homebody. my family has always been very home-y and we spent countless hours together in the living room watching tv, reading the paper, playing videos, etc.

when we first got married, it was hard for me to transition away from my past saturday routine of over 20 years which included stumbling down the stairs to sit in front of the tv in my pj's and eat cookies until it was time to do something. we had our apartment which had all of our stuff in it and assumingly, had everything i liked to do in it but on my days off when pat was at work, i went to my parents house. regardless of if they were home or not. Oscar, cable tv, and the paper would be there and that always sounded so good.

i slowly grew out of it as i became more comfortable with being alone when pat was at work and just being alone in the apartment in general. But i was never truly excited to be there, all alone, way up high on that second story.

When we bought our house, I figured I'd go through the uneasiness of being in a new neighborhood with new sounds and shadows. I figured I'd have moments of being afraid to be alone in the big empty house. But I didn't. I still haven't experienced that. I thought it would be alienating to live in the space where a stranger's marriage completely fell apart and wonder where they had put the bed and dished. But it's never crossed my mind. The house is ours. We've made it that way with our breath, cooking, and presence alone. The house, since morning one, has been warm, comforting, and home-y. Since we've put away the majority of the boxes, arranged furniture, painted walls, hung pictures, and now have a doggy that lives there, it's so overwhelmingly home-y that I never ever want to leave.

It's weird to be in my parents house now and just feel a little out of place. I'm creating my home and building my little family and it's such a great feeling. My inner momma bird is so at peace right now that I am completely blissful just thinking about being at home.

Tonight we're having soup, sammiches, and salad for dinner, watching TV, and cuddling and I can't wait. I'm putting on my PJ's and watching TV with the love of my life and I am so so lucky.

Thank you 3340 for being such a wonderful home.




No comments:

Post a Comment